Dynamics CRM Custom Email is a utility for Microsoft Dynamics CRM which provides several capabilities to extend the email functionality of the platform based on supported customizations.
- Ability to create Email Templates for custom entities.
- Dynamics fields can contain any type of attribute (e.g. Text, Numeric, Lookup, DateTime, etc)
- Lookup dynamics fields can have any level of relationships level (e.g. Opportunity => Customer Contact => Parent Company)
- Ability to apply formats on dynamic fields using ToString function (e.g. Money with 2 decimals, UK Date Time format)
- Ability to reuse attachments from different templates (e.g. Two different emails with attachments will use the same physical file)
Microsoft Dynamics CRM supported versions:
I have seen time and again the questions related to using a HTML email templates in Dynamics CRM. Unfortunately, by now even CRM 2015 don’t have a rich email template editor. We may see it in future as Microsoft has provided a good editor in Microsoft Dynamics Marketing and something similar may come to CRM. Thanks to multiple feedbacks provided on Connect and PinPoint. J
I have used below steps to create a HTML email template for one of the implementation.
Prerequisites: All images to be added on public facing server. We will use the URLs for these images.
Step 1: Create a HTML file with required design in any editor other than CRM email editor.
Step 2: Where you need to add images in the HTML, use the image URL. DO NOT DIRECTLY USE THE IMAGE.
Step 3: Open the HTML file in IE browser. Images will render from the public facing server automatically.
Step 4: Copy all the contents from the browser simply by doing Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C.
Step 5: Open email template editor in CRM and paste the contents by using Ctrl + V.
Sometimes you may not see the images rendered in CRM based on your browsers Cross domain setting, but it works great when the email arrives in Inbox.
IMPORTANT: For any reason if the images are moved from the location on public facing server, you will have to update the image URLs manually using the same step above.