Note: Contents re-blogged as it is from TechNet blog.
The Configuration Migration tool enables you to move configuration data across Microsoft Dynamics CRM instances and organizations.
The Configuration Migration tool allows you to:
- Select the entities and fields from where you want to export the configuration data.
- Avoid duplicate records on the target system by defining a uniqueness condition for each entity based on a combination of fields in the entity, which is used to compare against the values on the target system. If there are no matching values, a unique record is created on the target system. If a matching record is found, the record is updated on the target system. If no duplicate detection (uniqueness) condition is specified for an entity that is being exported, the tool uses the primary field name of the entity to compare against the existing data on the target system.
- Disable plug-ins before exporting data and then re-enable them on the target system after the import is complete for all the entities or selected entities.
- Validate the schema for the selected entities to be exported to ensure that all the required data/information is present.
- Reuse an existing schema to export data from a source system.
- Embed the exported modules created from this tool (schema and data files) in other programs. For example, you can use the exported data in Microsoft Dynamics CRM Package Deployer along with other solutions files and data to create and deploy packages on a CRM instance.
- The Configuration Migration tool does not support filtering of records in an entity. By default, all the records in the selected entity will be exported.
The following diagram illustrates how the Configuration Migration tool is used for migrating configuration data.