When you import historical data in Dynamics CRM, you may want to override property information like Created By, Created On, Modified By, Modified On associated to the record. It seems possible because CRM has provided security privileges called “Override Created on or Created by for records during data import”. However, simply update the appropriate Security Role to enable this privilege does not completely meet all requirements to override such fields as the name sounds.
The truth is, only “Created On” field can be overridden and only if the ‘allow creating duplicate records’ option is checked during the import process. In other words, we cannot update this field on existing records. Only creating new records does work for overriding “Created On” field.
While the Created By, Modified On, Modified By fields cannot be updated once the data is imported even though the user has full privilege on “Override Created on or Created by for records during data import”.
A workaround for such request can be to have a plugin that fires on pre-create of the entity and set the values for remaining fields problematically.
It is recommended that you do an import process by a administrative user which has a timezone set to GMT/UTC.
The reason is in 2005 (2005 revision to dates of observance) the date when Daylight Savings Time starts and ends in the US was changed. As a result, if you import the data back in for previous years as a user that is not on GMT, some of the records will be off by an hour.
- When one have a list of related entities for which data import is required, order in which data for these entities are imported is important. In some cases, you have many relationships, and you cannot practically determine the order in which they should be imported. In this case, do a two-pass operation.
- It is recommended to map the record ID/GUID fields when the records are imported. If you map the GUID fields, all relationships will work when imported.
- It is recommended to map createdon to overriddencreatedon. You can only populate this when the record is created, and this is what will set the created on date for the record to match the original version.
- There are some fields that you do not want to map, such as version number, import sequence.
- There are several fields that you cannot import like modified by, created by, modified on.
- Custom data cannot be reimported for closed opportunities.